Monday, March 30, 2009

To code or not to code? Templates are the question.

Web. A large complicated jigsaw puzzle. You would think it would be as easy as my space. I am sure there are programs out there that build the site for you and make it really good, but someone is writing that code for you and getting paid to do it. I spoke with my instructor about how I was avoiding using templates to create my pages. I wanted to figure out myself how to code a functional website and considered using templates as lazy. Mr. Williams said to me that he actually encourages using templates as a learning tool. I never looked at it that way. You can use them as a tool by trying to understand how the template code is written and why it was written that way.

I have been struggling the past few weeks with positioning. Creating content for me is easy but placing the content where I want it to go is another story. The easiest way I have found so far when positioning is putting certain items in a div tag such as my top links, bottom links, images, and paragraph text, even my h1s and h2s. After I have those in divs I start to play with my css. I first assign margins to my body so all my content will be placed within a specific area on my page. Second I adjust my top, left, right, and bottom margin percentages of each one of my divs. I then go even further by adjust the individual content within my divs the same way. So far this has worked out pretty well for me, even more so now that I am introducing 2-3 column layouts to my pages.

You can see a big difference in my 2 live websites. The first one "Search Engine Optimization" is extremely boring and ugly. I struggled with positioning allot with that site. My second site "Writers and Editors" is a huge improvement and I have allot more control of the size, shape, and positioning of the elements in that site. Please feel free to give me your honest opinion on my sites.
http://www.tampabaycreative.com/skippy
http://www.tampabaycreative.com/editing
I typed in the web address due to the links I added are not showing up in my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Just got a new text in that might be right up your alley. "When Search Meets Usability" by Shari Thurow and Nick Musica. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete